Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Birthdays

So Apple Jacks had his birthday yesterday. He's not even older than me... meaning we're back to being 7 years apart and no longer 6. Anyway, he's about as into birthdays as he was into every other holiday that's passed. He pushed me away for Thanksgiving and sulked around for Christmas and made little effort for Valentines Day (though that one is almost understandable 'cause it is only 6 days before my birthday). To give him some holiday credit he did try on my birthday. And now it's his turn. "I don't deserve anything." "Don't get my anything." "You know I'm just going to be disappointed with whatever you get me." Ah, do we all love the faith, optimism, and over all cheer!
So yesterday, after a good 15 min of him shaking the gift and guessing multiple climbing and motorcycle things he thought might be inside, he pensively took off the ribbon (no paper, I didn't want to go over board) and peeled back the tape. As the few seconds of recognition go by and he realizes what it is, he smiles. He looks at me with an open jaw and corners turned up and says "You shouldn't have." He pulls out the Chrome mess anger bag, red and gray to match his motorcycle suit. "I was trying these on the other day, how'd you know?"
I didn't know, I just remembered that back in December he mentioned that he REALLY liked them and was hemming and hawing about getting one.
That's right Mr. Apple Jacks, I do know you and though the gift isn't perfect (we're not sure if the size is right yet) it still hit the nail on the head!

No comments: