Sunday, January 06, 2008

Female Friends

Okay, so i've been saying this for years but never blogged about it, mostly because I know my mom reads this and I don't want to deal with the "talk" that could come with it but f-it. It's my blog, right?
Years of dating and being out of college I've notice a few things.  It is easier to meet men than it is to meet women.  Why, I don't really know? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not easy to meet men, but you go on a date with a guy, and if it doesn't work out you don't see them again, and if it does you do.  But where is there a place to have same sex totally platonic dates? I don't need a match.com I want to friend.com.  I don't meet people though work, and who i do meet, how do I make that next step, that "hey, we should hang out?" without seeming desperate, needy, clingy.  
I've been fortunate enough to become close with several of the friends in Apple Jacks friend group.  They've slowly become both our friends and I hang out with them without Apple Jacks.  
Which is great, to have a new, different friend group than the one I had, but the one I had before has dispersed.  People have left, moved, faded away, and that's just how life goes.  So, there is a part of me that feels it's time to add more people to my posse, but how.... How do you meet new people? I'm not a go out there and do things alone type person... I don't have guts like that.  I took a writing class a few years back hoping to make some friends, but nothing came out of that.  I also had a book club with Ms. O and that faded and none of the friendships lasted from that.   Both a few years ago and with someone else recently, i also tried to rekindle a friendship with an old horse friend and both fizzled and faded rather quickly.  So.. how, i ask you, does a girl meet other girls?
So, The Ma and I are looking into doing a training thing for a half marathon and vowing to socialize with others.  I've been on Craigslist responding to people's book clubs.   
All in all, really.... how is it easier to date men than have a friend date with a girl!?!

1 comment:

sharynkaryn said...

we ARE going to run the 1/2 marathon and we ARE going to make friends. we can't always be the loud clique at the gym...