Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Desisions... you've just got to live with them

Lets go back in time a bit here. Not too far, maybe Feb. of 2006. I know, i'm not truly streching the bounds of my time machien. I got all dressed up in my suit, the one my sister-in-law helped me pick out, and my pointy shoes to go to a job fair. I filled out several applications and shmoozed with a few princpals and supper attendents. I saw that MDUSD (that's Mt. Diable Unified School District) was doing interviews. This is one of the biggest districts in the east bay. They have schools that are about to go under with only 2 kinds in a class who speak English to schools that are the highest ranking in the state. I said... fuck it I'll interview... even if I don't want to work for them (they are also known for pink slipping their teachers until they know how many they can hire back next year... lame). I interview. I don't give a shit. I have fun. I talk and charm (i know I didn't know I could charm either). I leave the interview. I talk to one other district and start to leave the job fair, I had to ride. As i'm leaving, on the phone up dating people about the fair, I hear my name. I turn around and it's one of the principals who interviewed me. "We want you to meet with the supper attendent!" she gasped at me. Sure, why not. I meet. The S.A. interviews me again. Then she hands me a paper. "This says you'll come work for us in Augest." I said I'd think about it. I passed. I wasn't ready to commit in Feb for a job in Aug.
Okay lets skip a head>>>>
Aug. I've interviewed for several other schools. Just as a note not for the schools I worked my ass off for the past school year. No, the four or five openings they had... no I wasn't good enough. Oh, but I can get stompped on for three months. ANYWAY, it's Aug. and I have no teaching job in site. I was offered, and took, a personal assisting job for a women I use to babysit for.
Present Day>>>>
I substitute on average one day a week. I turn down, on average, one sub job a week. I tutor four days a week for 1 1/2 to 3 hours a day. I get my kid time. I get my teaching time... or at least that's what I say to myself. I was offered a long term sub job at the same school I work at last year that would have gone from March to the end of the school year. But I'm able to go to yoga and work out and ride and have lunch with friends. I'm able to take time off to go to horse shows and snowboard.
In February I made a decision. I chose two in the bush... and I am where I am? I'm not complaining or whining or bitching. I've got a good thing going on and I won't deny it. At times I miss the classroom, but I sub all day on Friday for the first time this school year.... we'll see if I still miss the classroom.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Isn't it superintendent? Not super attendant? Like, hey, that attendant at the parking garage was super! Am I being mean? I'm not trying to. Maybe it's because I'm tired and had to miss the OC tonight to finish up a couple of papers so that I can start on other papers--and finish them--this weekend.