Friday, November 17, 2006

The Track Event

This weekend I had an Audi event up at Sears Point raceway. I had two students, a B student (who doesn't have track time 'til the afternoon of the first day [I never got to have her as a student... it will make sence soon]) and a D student. Students drive the car while instructors are in the passanger side giving directions. My D students had been on this track five other times and has done several Auto-X events. The D-students did one run group early in the morning. It was raining and my students car liked to jump around. He was doing a great job of keeping it under control. Second run group, a little less wet but not by much. Second lap my student looses traction around turn four. That wasn't the problem. He got it back just in time to lose it again in the kink that is turn five. The back of the car stepped out and snap (meaning lost traction) we went sliding to the left edge of the track. Shit... you don't go into mud sideways. Two wheels could sink and the rest of the car could keep going. Roll over roll. THat wasn't what happened... What did was a freak coinsidence... I look up and there about 30ft away in out line of slide is a black car, sitting still, no moving. We keep sliding... they don't move... their passanger side tail light meets the center of the driver side of the car... at 35 to 40 mph

The driverside seat air bag went off. I have a distinct imprint in my memory of my student breathing in and out the powder that fills the air when the airbag went off. My student, in the driver side of this car, has one cracked rib and two brused ribs. I, in the passanger seat of this car, have a severly brused elbow, bruse from the seatbelt and a sore neck. The other car that left that nice bumer/tail light imprint on the back door there... well the passanger/instructor has a severly brused shoulder and some whip lash. The driver of the other car wasn't that lucky. He was leaning over to start his car (it stalled when he went off the track). When we rearended his car he had the farthest to travel. He couldn't move his arms. He got Hella Flight out of there... to John Muir in Walnut Creek. As of last night, his family was flying up from LA to be with him and he was able to move his legs and move his fingers.
DON'T LIFT IN THE CORNERS!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I have to say about that. Both me and the instructor in the other car got back out on the track to drive... our students weren't so lucky. Two totalled cars.

2 comments:

Grammy said...

Wow! You were brave to get back on that track. But then you've always had a lot of "guts".

al said...

I am very glad that it was only cars that were hurt!