Saturday, April 15, 2006

Meeting People

When i told my mom i broke up with my college boyfriend, again (but for real this time), she told me "well, i hope you thought about this. Meeting people is hard after college." Now one has to keep in mind my mother was married at 20 and had her first kid at 24. So... hmmm.... Really what does she know. So my college boyfriend and i broke up (a month before my birthday and i had my get over fling) and graduated and I moved home... While home i went back to school to get my teaching credential and met another boy. This was a serious thing, we thought about moving in together and then i realized he was an alcoholic ass (oh yeah i pick winners). I meet a few girl friends while in the teaching program but lost most of them as life went on.
So now I've been out of my teaching program for over a year. I've been in and out of half a dozen schools working but only meet a could people i could see myself be friends with... I had once closest girlfriend of mine move away to be with her man(you go girl) and another who bailed on my birthday and has never contacted me again. My three closest girlfriends live back east. So here i have these wonderfully close people (not physically obviously) and one or two people here in CA that are close me but no one like my three that are away.
So now I'm out of school... yet there most days (working) and I look at these teachers who surround me and wonder how do i become friends with them... i see them maybe once a month in a work setting for 20 min. "Hey, we should hang out some time?" Seems like an easy thing to say but totally not. Not so someone i see for 20 min... who is surrounded by other teachers. I asked a friend if i should e-mail this women i use to work with and ask to hang out... she said it was a cop out. I should ask her in person... but how? How when i don't see her...
Well, I have tried reaching out to people on Myspace that i use to be friends with.... I've tried going to a knitting group to meet people... but really...
So example two: in Trader Joe's and there is a hot guy (tatoo on the elbow totally my type {remember they type i pick]). What am i to do? Walk up to him and ask him about apples... mellons... and give him my number... (i know tasha not what your told to do in the He's Just Not That Into You bible)... but really. There needed to be a signal out there for people who are single. The whole wedding ring is great for the long term commitment but what about the short term... can it be a string... a rubber band... a signal that says "Oh, yeah you think i'm cute but so does my GIRLFRIEND!!! and she got this first"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I don't want people asking out my guy! There should be some sort of sign for people in serious relationships so that you know you should leave them alone. It would be a lot easier for everyone. As for meeting people Aundra, it'll happen. You're the Coolest!

Aundra said...

Okay so i'm better with the meeting people thing (I think) but the whole boyfriend thing!