Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back in the Saddle

We all know I will never have to Litterally worry about leaving the "saddle" but this time I'm not talking horses. I'm talking the spinning saddle, the crafty saddle. In two days I leave to see the craftiest of them all, Ms. Tasha. Now, I "let it slip" the I have all this fiber I haven't used or even looked at in like two years. "BRING IT AND GIVE IT TO ME!" was the first words out of Tasha's mouth as I left this infromation out of my mouth.
I feel like I should talk about how Ms. T and I got started on this crafty path.
(Cue misty flash back sounds and wavy lines)
It all started back in the winter of 2001/2. Tasha said, why don't we learn how to knit. Okay, sounds good. Tasha and I had gone to the local craft shop, bought a book about knitting and some yarn and needles. Tasha found undiscovered ways to add stitches and made a pink trapizodal hot pad and I discovered the need to look at dye lots and made my ex boyfriend a two toned scarf. After some healthy competition we both learned and improved, Tasha buying knitting things are every garage sale she could.
"You want to learn how to spin? There is a spinning class back at the local yarn show and I rally want to take it." I'm sure there was some of the patentied Tasha whine after that but I'm not 100% sure. So, we took a spinning class, and like the knitting I grasped it a bit faster than Ms. T. Looking back at this we've realized that this was probibly a good things. Tasha's competative sprit came out and she became a better fiber person (?) than me.
2003 the day of shock and aww school was "optional". Teacher guessing most of the students at our liberal acts school would be protesting. Well, Tasha and I drove to the boonies of Oregon and found our selves some spinning wheels and more fiber than our brains could wrap around.
(Fade back into today)
So I was looking through all my fiber and thinking, hmmm what should I bring to Tasha and I found this.

"Hmmm, " I thought. "This is some beautiful wool... I think I'll spin it." (Sorry Tash). Now to spinn this I needed to empty some bobins. The first bobin just needed to be wound, of course I can't find my knity knoty (due to lack of use I bet it up and left to find a home where it would be loved), so I did my best to just winde it up. (I have pics but Blogger won't let it download)

Next I had to ply some wool that was already spun. I only had one bobins worth so I had to Navajo ply, something that isn't easy... but with a minimal amout of tangle and fuss I cleared that bobin as well. (Once again, no downloading).

So now, I was all set to spin (I'm a rather private spinner. Something about the dorkiness of the activity that makes me need to be comfotable with who views my spinning) and my roommate's mom, she staying here this week, shows up with some small child (grand kid?). So the beautiful red wool will have to wait... hmmm now I wonder if I have more wool to bring Tasha???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really long. I think I skipped some parts....