Thursday, September 28, 2006

Grad School + 3000 miles - internet = X?

My three closest friends live across the country, well one in a different country but same time zone and the others. Ms. M lives in northern NY, Ms. E lives in western Mass, and and Ms. T (aka the Spinster) lives in Toronto. Everyone knows a friendship takes work. It's like a plant. You need to water it, but not too much. You need to make sure it's getting the right nutrition, and sun light.
Now, to my surprise but joy, Ms. T and I have found a great balance in the 3000 miles, 3 hour time difference, busy with grad school friendship. We talk, some times every day, others once a week. We e-mail. We comment on blogs. We communicate. We get the right amount of each other's lives but not so much either of us wants to puke.
Ms. M and I are a little different. We talk maybe once a week but we'll talk for almost an hour. We'll cover the basics of what's going on in each other's lives keeping it to the big things (Tasha and I will talk about what we did that day, little things). She's the person who, when she's here... it's like she's never left. We laugh at stupid shit, we sit and watch tv, ect. But when she's away you feel the distance and that's fine, that's who it is.
Now here's the dilemma and I can't be mad but that doesn't stop my from being annoyed. If you've used your powers of deduction you'll know who's left. Ms. E. No, Ms. E didn't do it in the study with the rope (Clue reference. It felt needed with all these Ms.s). She's busy. She's got school, a job, a boy and a dog. She lives with boy and dog. The whole internet thing drives me nuts... she doesn't have her computer hooked up. Just her boy's and he's on his computer all the time, also being in grad school. She doesn't read my blog much, or anymore to my knowledge now that she's moved. It's also odd to me that, though she has a cell and Ms. T doesn't, she is infinitely harder to get a hold of. If I call her cell it's normally off... or rings and rings and I get "Hey, it's Ms. E leave me a message and I'll get back to you." I don't even leave messages any more. Worst part is she'll call me and I'll just miss her call so I call back five min. later and does she pick up... no. Where did she god, she just had her phone.
Being the studious person she is, she turns her phone off while she's busy with work... but here's the thing, if she's not at school, or at work, she's studying. I only talk to her while she's walking the dog, walking/driving to or from class. And she hates talking while driving (so not a Californian).
So I'm at a loss. Do I need to start writing her letters via snail mail? We did that for a bit 'till I lost a letter in the mail and it stopped the cycle. Do I take a deep breath and just wait... wait for this year of grad school to be over? I mean shit... I can't be mad at her, it's school, it's life that's keeping her busy. It's not that she's out partying and doesn't have time to talk, or busy with her boy (though when they started dating it was equally hard to talk to her and if we did... not talk about him and we made it though that {Ms. T if I ever just talk about Apple Jacks please hit me}). So here I am stuck with the equation: Grad School + 3000 miles/3 hours - internet=????. It's like really hard algebra (and you thought you'd never use it again).

No comments: